Snežnik Castle stands below the mountain of the same name Snežnik. The history of the castle probably dates back to the 11th century, when the authority over the Loka Valley was taken over by the Patriarchs of Aquileia, who wanted to secure important traffic routes by building fortresses. Such a route also passed through the snow forests towards Istria and Kvarner. The original image of the castle (then still a fortress) was supposed to consist of two parallel towers connected by a corridor, surrounded by a high wall, around which a deep defensive moat was dug. The castle is first mentioned in archival sources in 1269 in connection with the Schnebergs, with the mention of Meynardus de Sneperch. The Snežnik family was followed in the 700-year history of the castle by Messrs. Rauber, Lamberg, Eggenberg, Auersperg, Lichtenberg, etc., and last but not least Schönburg-Waldenburg. The castle stands near the former Roman outpost in Šmarata, from where, during the last princely family of Schönburg-Waldenburg (1853-1945), tombstones were transferred and built into the walls inside the castle. During the same period, in the second half of the 19th century, its interior and exterior were heavily remodeled. Most of the castle furniture dates from this period, as well as the castle park with designed elements of landscape style, which then began to gain ground in Slovenia as well. The basic composition is formed by four-row and numerous two-row chestnut and linden tree-lined avenues along the paths to the castle, among them there are clearings and walking and riding paths. Right next to the castle are two artificial lakes, which are fed by the springs Obrh and Brezno.
The castle has been accessible to the public since 1983 as a museum. Since the 1980s, numerous civil weddings have been held at Snežnik Castle.